Spontaneity & Comfort Zone

I picked up quite a few things this past week because I am starting to run out on some of my basic essential items (eyeliner and bronzer) and of course, I felt adventurous and purchased a few extra items haha. Normally, I don't gravitate towards red and fuchsia nail polish because growing up as a kid these nail polish colours always gave me a bad connotation - only creepy old ladies and witches with long wrinkly skinny fingers wear these. LOL am I the only one on this? Anyway, obviously I have matured over this thought especially now that I've bought similar lipstick colours which turned out well on me so I thought I should give it a try on my nails as well. :P 



Left to Right

Revlon Blue Lagoon - perfect sky blue colour, the moment I picked this up and looked at it, my hands couldn't put it back on the rack lol the subtle silver and blue shimmers is absolutely amazing.

Rimmel Bare Naked - I'm sure many of you recognize this cause I've already raved about it previously here as my perfect go-to nude colour.

OPI Sweet Heart - milky pale pink; pinky twin and I picked up the same polish because it seems to be a good candidate as "my nails but better color" we're hoping we'd get compliments on how nice and healthy our nails look when in fact we just have a nice pink polish over top to disguise it HAHA.

OPI The Color of Minnie - a true red from the Minnie Mouse Limited Edition Collection. This was a spontaneous purchase to expand the colour selection in my nail polish stash, I put the plastic nail swatch over my own nails and it seems to look good against my skin tone. 

OPI Flashbulb Fuchsia - pretty fuchsia colour with a gorgeous purple sheen/shimmer, the runner up for a fuchsia colour that I've considered buying was Essie's Bachelorette Bash. 



The shimmers in Blue Lagoon and Flashbulb Fuchsia is so pretty!!



If you remember my post from here, you know that I LOVE this bronzer - I love it so much that I felt the necessity to repurchase. The odd thing though, is that this new one is a bit lighter than my old NYC Sunny bronzer. I'm thinking it might be because they're from different collections - this one is from Smooth Skin, while my old one is just the regular? It's funny how they would make two extremely similar products under their own brand...on the back this is marked as Sunny 720A and my previous one is Sunny 720C... Hopefully on the face, they're identical - I shall update on this later when I try it out.


After reading several blog posts about the wonderful things that Essence has to offer I decided to go browse around at the drugstore but limited myself to only buying the gel eyeliner. So far, after swatching it I'm pretty impressed with the longevity and waterproof ability. I rubbed my fingers over it after letting it set and neither liner budged. While testing it under water when I was in the shower, Essence definitely held it in better than the Annabelle Smoothliner (not that I expected much, because I bought this for a different purpose). Essence Gel eyeliner took a while to smudge and flake - quite impressed especially when this is only $3.99. As for the Annabelle Smoothliner, I bought this as a regular liner just to apply it underneath the other eyeliners that I use. It was marked down from ~$8-9 to $3.99.


What other essence products do you love or recommend me in trying out? I saw the cream shadows but they didn't have the nice bronze shade that I was hoping to get and I couldn't find the polish that is similar to Deborah Lippmann's Across the Universe. The cashier told me that their retractable liner is great - has anyone tried that?

Comments

  1. I haven't tried the retractable liner but I have tried their Kajal pencil liner in Teddy, it doesn't have the best staying power but I really like the colour - nice for the lower lashline. Their gel eyeliners have amazing staying power, it's really difficult to get rid of it! Love the nail polishes, I have Blue Lagoon and I love the colour in the bottle but it does apply quite sheer and streaky, and ultimately ends up looking more aqua/sky blue than what I was hoping. Still pretty though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was about to get the Kajal eyeliner in black but I put it back down after doing a test rub on my hand while I was at the store - it smudged the instant my fingers touched it lol but it does seem to be a good liner for smokey eyes. Oh no, that's disappointing. I just swatched it on paper and not my nails so I didn't know it was going to be a bit sheer and streaky - but I guess I can still work it out :P

      Delete
  2. Red and fuchsia polishes are the best! :P Do update us on the Sunny bronzer. Also, as for Essence, I like their Stay With Me lipglosses and I haven't tried their retractable liners so can't say anything about those. Their normal pencil eyeliners have great colour pay off but poor staying power. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are there any particular lipgloss shades that you love? I saw them at the store, but I'm not really a lipgloss person so I didn't make the move to try it out yet. haha. And yeah, that's why I decided to purchase a different pencil eyeliner cause I tested the Essence liners at the store and it smudged the instant i rubbed it

      Delete
  3. all colours are great. especially nude one. very wearable!


    Say meow to me on:
    Miss Kwong: From Catwalk to Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The nude one has been a long favourite of mine :)

      Delete
  4. ohh i was just reading up on the essence cream shadows today!
    based on what ive read, the most popular color is called something like the glammy goes to...so personally im eyeing that and one called irresistable or something (omg my memory retention is so bad)
    loving that my nails but better color, its such a classic and you cannot go wrong <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooops, its called irreplaceable, and its a nail polish
      the other cream shadow i was thinking of is called steel the show :)

      Delete
    2. Yes! That's the cream shadow shade I couldn't find and I've heard so many good things about it lol I guess I'll just wait until next time XP Irreplaceable looks really pretty! I'll definitely try and pick that up the next time I'm at the store. Not sure if Sweet Heart is actually a my nails but better colour as it seems really light and milky *fingers crossed though!* :P

      Delete
  5. I would like to try essence products,but haven't had chance to. The liner looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely pick some things up when you get the chance cause they're so affordable and the quality of the products also seem great. I'm pretty sure I'll be going back for more :P

      Delete
  6. you are so adorable <3 just emailed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks hehe ^_^ i didn't get an email from you though and I'm not sure if you emailed the right person because i don't have any contact information on my blog. :O I left my email on your blog if you want to msg me again :)

      Delete
  7. Oh wow, flash bulb fuchsia just looks amazing, now I may need to go get a similar shade! I own only 2 opi and they aren't 'colorful' shades.

    I've almost completely given up on a black eyeliner that will stay on my waterline so I simply just don't line my lower lash line anymore! I like the look but I'd have to be in a good mood so I don't mind the smudging, I love precise make up :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe it's okay, you can slowly expand your nail polish collection like i did, I also don't have much colourful shades...probably only a yellow and now the red and fuchsia

      You should try Maybelline's Master Drama Eyestudio retractable eyeliner - that one is VERY long lasting on the waterline (at least 6hrs and maybe even more!) :D I did a review on it here:

      http://ad-astraaa.blogspot.ca/2012/04/impressive-longevity.html

      Delete
  8. hehe,we all needa spoil ourselves sometime ;) love the nail colors, especially the sky blue color! i recently bought a color similar and i loooove it!

    thanks for the review on the essence eyeliner (i need a new one soon!) i actually never heard of that brand before, haha but it looks good! and wow, only 4$!?

    hmmm i definitely recommend Benefit's cream shadow/liner! it's a bit pricey but i love it to deathhhh! it's just sucha great product and i had it for over a year now and it's just amazingggg! i will definitely repurchase when i run out!

    alex @ carouselstreet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Let me know how it goes when you get the Essence eyeliner for the price you can't beat it, I'm in love! haha

      I've heard so many good things about Benefit's cream shadows, I'll definitely go buy myself some soon :D

      Delete
  9. Haha you have to try Essence base I <3 Stage !

    Turtle <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely look into it :D

      Delete
  10. all colours of nailpolishes are very nice and i find your blog very good and interesting :)

    love
    beauthi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love O.P.I. is one of my favorite´s brands! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same here! I love their wide range of polishes :D

      Delete
  12. you MUST try the cream shadows! i'm madly in love with them, a lot of people use them as a base but i think the color is pretty rich on its own :) i'm keen to try the gel eyeliner now :D

    cocoandgarcon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the gel eyeliner is awesome! you need to get it haha and I'll definitely go back and get the cream shadows :D

      Delete

Post a Comment