Glistening Water

I love glitter and the colours in this palette are just phenomenal. However, if only the quality was just as great as it looks I'd be jumping with joy right now. Sigh. When you swipe these with your fingers, you'd be deceived by the intensity of the swatch. The actual application of this product can just be described as: oh-the-frustrationnnnnnn.


Don't even try to work this product without a sticky cream base or glitter adhesive. It's hard to maneuver the glitters on your lid and pack it on evenly. It is even more difficult to achieve that "wow-factor" look we all expect from glitters. If you decide to use a cream base, it must be a good one otherwise it won't stick on properly and last without creasing (I personally prefer using glitter adhesives eg. Too Faced's Glitter Glue seen here). Normally, I'd be cautious about using bases with glitters but awhile back, the makeup artist at my local NYX store told me that they used these cream palettes as bases for their powder glitters (Glitter on the Go) so I naturally assumed that I can just use this without a base. Ahem...Wrong


Another thing I've found out about this palette is that only the top layer is glamorously filled with glitter, as you get deeper into the cream product you'll find a nasty base of vaseline looking goop holding all of this together. You need a lot of this product to get an intense glitter eye look, so it's only a matter of uses until you encounter it. Personally, I haven't done so as I've only lined my eyes with two of the colours but I can already see bits of it when I poke the applicator harder in the product and make a dent. Right now, I'm just compensating it by brushing the product back and forth to cover up the small bald spot.


Dear NYX: it's palette not pallet.....lol

I swatched these with the sponge tip applicators provided as if my life depended on it


The glitters do not stick on well, with a light swipe, half of the glitters came off onto my fingers - I can't imagine this on my eyes. This will probably just crease like crazy and your face will end up being a disco ball. The weird thing though, is that these glitters do not come off the fingers easily which as previously mentioned is the reason why you'd be easily deceived by finger swatches. 

How To Make This Palette Work:
- ps. Emily Noel is one of my favourite youtube gurus! :)


Overall Summary

The Pros:
- cheap and affordable
- a wide range of GORGEOUS colours
- sponge tip applicators provided are useful in utilizing this product, also comes with a small brush tip end

The Cons:
- hard to maneuver glitter and pack on the lids
- requires a lot of a product to achieve a nice intense colour on the lids
- this product creases without a good base or glitter adhesive
- only the top layer has glitter, the bottom is a vaseline-like goop
- cannot be used as a base for similar glitter colours in powder form
I've never seen a makeup product with such silly spelling errors

Overall Rating: 3/10

Final words: I do not recommend this product at all...I rather spend a bit of extra money to get NYX's Glitter on the Go's or the mini versions. You get a lot more product and you get what you expect to work with - glitter powder that (additionally) requires glitter glue or a sticky cream base, none of this expectations vs reality nonsense. Sigh, what a shame this is such a beautiful palette.......

Comments

  1. Emily Noel is one of my favourites too! It's a pity that the palette doesn't live up to first impressions, it's definitely very pretty. I'm not really a glitter eyeshadow person but I would have thought this would have been cool for special occasions or dress up events. Thanks for the review, hopefully there's better glitter cream eyeshadow out there :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of exactly the same thing, I was planning to just wear this if I go out to special occasions or parties but I guess I'll just have to try and work with this somehow :P

      Delete
  2. that's a bummer! the colors are really pretty and sparkly though!

    [oomph.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeaa what a shame! I hope my glitter base would make this work properly

      Delete
  3. Oh no, that's so disappointing :( Especially since NYX make some really terrific products. This one seems like a total dud, I can see from the swatch that it's greasy looking and the glitter is sparse and would probably just smear off if applied to the lids :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll just stick with their powder glitters lol. It was so nasty and greasy when I put it on my lids :(

      Delete
  4. Oh goodness! When I saw the swatch I cringed! I just had a 'fight' with some rogue glitter and I can only imagine the glitters everywhere! I doubt I would purchase it, but thank you for the swatch! Pictures of glitter always makes me happy. =D

    ♡ M.May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yeap, definitely do not purchase! I'm glad you like my pictures hehe <3

      Delete
  5. sorry to hear that the product didn't work >< looks like there would be incredible fallout~but hey, worth trying out so that you know right? the colors looked promising though.

    -Joyce
    carouselstreet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, it's worth a try - I couldn't resist the glitter haha XD

      Delete
  6. omg i've recently gotten a VERY similar glitter palette from claire's and i have encountered the EXACT same problem!! i wasn't expecting much from claire's cosmetics, but they were having a buy 2 get 1 free thing going on and the colors were absolutely gorgeous! so i picked that glitter palette up all excited and happy! but when i got home, found that it was supperrr hard to put on, and there's also that gross vaseline layer u were talking about o_o" so disappointed, its currently hiding at back of my drawer now. sigh. maybe one day i will find a use for them :(

    xoxo <3
    http://miss-6.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that sucks! I've never tried Claire's cosmetics but ehh I think it may just be glitter cream products don't work out well or at least in this sort of vaseline-like formula. I'll see what else I can do with this palette another day, if I figure out a good solution to these things I'll let you know haha :P

      Delete

Post a Comment