Skincare Routine for My Combination/Oily Skin - Steps to Get Nice & Clear Skin.

I was never really into skincare because I never found the right products for me, so i felt like they were useless and a hassle. My old skincare routine only consisted of a cleanser and a spot treatment gel lol. But now that i've found products that work for me, I have noticed a great deal of change in the quality of my skin - soft, smooth, silky and most importantly free of acne and blemishes (i still get some when my monthly date comes around though ><").

Evidence of Clear Skin ^^


LET'S GET STARTTTEEEDDDD!

Step 1: Remove ALL makeup. No matter how tired you are or how late it is, left over makeup residue on your face will cause break outs and clog your pores; i think this is a common sense thing but it's a good reminder - no exceptions, no excuses unless you don't wear or have any makeup on! (if you don't then skip this step) ;)

Products I use:

- Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover: Love this cause it's cheap drugstore yet does it's job. I believe this is my 3rd bottle and as you can see....I am gonna need a 4th - it takes off all eye makeup, even waterproof mascara and doesn't require much effort. (Find this at any drugstore - Superstore, Shoppers etc)

- DHC Deep Cleansing Oil: Removes all face and eye makeup, I use this when I get home late from clubbing lol, have on a lot of eye makeup, foundation or heavy concealer days. (Buy this online - look on google)


Step 2: Cleanser - definitely need to cleanse and remove the bacteria, dirt particles and excessive natural oils off the skin, otherwise...like i've said before, you'll get clogged pores and break outs.

Products I use:

- Dermalogica Clearing Skin Wash: "designed to treat adult acne and the needs of adult skin", contains salicyclic acid and no artificial fragrance or color. I must say, this is the best cleanser I've ever used. Not only does my skin feel fresh and clean it also controls and clears my acne/blemishes. LOVE THIS. It also takes off a bit of makeup :P which is a plus. (find this at Shifeon - Downtown or Oakridge)

- St. Ives Fresh Skin Apricot Scrub Gentle: I use this after the Dermalogica cleanser, since it is gentle, it is okay to use it everyday. If you have the one for blemishes and black heads I'll recommend using that every 2 days or twice a week (depending on your sensitivity) since it is more harsh on the skin it will make your face oilier if you use it too frequent. (Find this at any drugstore).



Step 2.5: Once a week deep cleansing/exfoliating + mask - do this after cleansing (step 2); this step will tighten your pores and make your skin exceptionally soft, smooth and refreshed by removing dead skin cells and the black heads that accumulate over time. Though this can't get rid of the stubborn black heads for good, it certainly helps reduce them. 

Products I use:

Sea Salt found in your kitchen: natural and easy to find exfoliater (store in a small container so it is easy to reach in your bathroom) - removes dead skin and leaves your skin feeling soft, smooth and silky. Put a teaspoon of sea salt in your hand, with the tap running cold water, wet your other hand's finger tips and rub the sea salt all over the face in circular motions, especially concentrate it on areas with black heads. Then rinse off with the cold water. Cold water will help tighten pores and also allow the salt to exfoliate and not melt

Biotherm BIOPUR Pore Reducer: massage all over face, let dry and rinse off with warm water, my face feels tighter after using this. :) Use a mask of your choice it doesn't have to be this cause I would say this is only an okay product. 

A mask is not only a skincare step but also done to pamper yourself after a week's hardwork! ;D



Step 3: Toner - not absolutely necessary but recommended to people with oilier skin because the idea of it is to help reduce pores, prevent acne and clean off any dirt residue from your face that your cleanser missed. 

Products I use:

- Stella McCartney CARE Toning Floral Water: I like this cause it dries fast and feels really refreshing because it is a spray and has a nice rosey floral scent to it (that is not overwhelming). My sister claims that it reduces her pores (i don't have huge pores so i don't know for sure). However I think this is discontinued, so I'll be trying a different one after I finish this.....if you would like to try it good luck searching for it. ><"

- Clarins Extra Comfort Toning Lotion: I use this alternatively with the Stella McCartney one, this particular one i have is a sample size and 75% was used by my sister and she just gave it to me to try because she said it was okay, but didn't do anything for her. In my opinion, this one is alright - It dries fast and is soothing. It says it's for dry and sensitive skin, but I have combo/oily skin and still works okay.

I think both of these toners do contribute to giving me nice/clear skin, but I'm not sure if it's anything spectacular compared to other ones as I have never been really into toners nor have tried many. I'll just continue to try more and more in the upcoming future :)




Step 4: Moisturizer - more important than you think! I used to have the same thinking as many other oily skin girls - which is, "we don't need a moisturizer because our skin is already hydrated by the natural oils produced by our skin if we put moisturizer on, our skin will just get oilier". SO WRONG! The truth is that underneath, we are actually very dry, that's why our skin/oil glands feels like it doesn't have enough hydration, so it produces even more oil!!!

Products I use:

- Dr. Phoebus Skin Soothing Relief Gel Botanical Recovery: moisturizing gel consistency with moderate drying speed on the skin. Contains antioxidants, moisture boosting extracts and aloe vera. I think this is hydrating and good for all skin types, my mom and her friend uses this as well and we all have different skin types. (Find this at the Richmond Laser Skincare & Wellness Centre

- Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel: I don't think I have to elaborate much on this as this is such a highly raved about product haha. What do I like about this? It dries very very fast, oil-free and is of course, moisturizing. (Find this at Sephora and any Clinique counters)


Step 5: Acne and Blemish Treatment - make them go away faster!

Products I use:

- Neutrogena Acne Spot Treatment and Mark Treatment: I use these 2 for blemishes or minor acne spots - both contain salicylic acid but they don't work that well for more severe acne or cystic acne. The mark treatment doesn't help diminish my dark spots or faster....so yeahh i prefer the acne spot treatment. (Find this at any drugstore)

- Clindoxyl Gel: contains benzyl peroxide, i use this for the bigger spots especially for those nasty huge red pimple that hurts like a bitch and you cannot squeeze those. Though not a miracle disappearance in one day, it does help them disappear faster (~3-4 days?). (Doctor prescribed)




And that's it for my skincare routine!!! :D 5 and 1/2 steps lol. I hope it helps although it may not work for everyone, it is what's working for me hehh. 

Comments